Monday, July 21, 2008

Idealist.






Eric and I are both very excited about our volunteer placements in Buenos Aires. An organization called HelpArgentina (www.helpargentina.org) has coordinated our stay here - everything from volunteer placements to housing and Spanish lessons. Their goal is to bring international volunteer resources into local NGOs, relieving that coordination burden from their partner organizations. HelpArgentina also raises funds for all the organizations they work with. Fantastic.

Eric is working for an organization called EcoClubes (www.ecoclubes.org.ar) - they organize youth clubs to raise awareness and provide solutions for environmental problems in Argentina. He is going to be working with the Executive Director to create a national water program that will address the most immediate water concerns throughout the country. Its perfect for Eric, and I love his excited dinner chatter about new kinds of water filters, levels of arsenic in the water around the country and the work of EcoClubes.

I am thrilled to be working with an organization called idealist.org. If aren't familiar with them, stop now and visit their website (www.idealist.org) - you won't regret it. [Sidenote: I found myself in tears multiple times during my first read-through. Don't miss their 'First Time Here?', 'Vision and MIssion' and 'Imagine" sections]. Idealist is a project of Action Without Borders, a nonprofit organization founded in 1995 with offices in the United States and Argentina. Idealist.org is an interactive site where people and organizations can exchange resources and ideas, locate opportunities and supporters, and take steps toward building a world where all people can lead free and dignified lives. I will be splitting my time at Idealist between 3 different projects:
1. Consulting with the Volunteer Program staff, assisting them to develop and improve their local volunteer program.
2. Doing Idealist outreach (reasearch and marketing) geared specifically towards non-profits in Minnesota.
3. Researching a new country for Idealist's expansion - I'm going to focus on profiling the Northern Territory of Australia.

One of the fun features of the Idealist website is that it features new user comments every day. I love this one from today:
“I am inspired by and grateful for this website. There is more good in this world than is reported in the mainstream media and more beauty and hope than is acknowledged in your typical run of the mill cubicle filled office. I have a vision of a better life for myself and the people around me, so this seems like a good place to join up." - Ginger

1 comment:

tzappa said...

Hi Molly,

I hope everything is well with you and Eric. I share your love of BA, the Paris of the Southern Hemisphere. Travel safely.

Tony Zappa