Friday, April 18, 2008

Sameeka.

From the first day I met her, Sameeka has been repeating the same question to me in quick, rolling Creole. The phrase always includes ‘etazini’ (the United States) – so I respond by explaining that “Yes, I live in the United States.” and “Yes, I am returning there on June 3rd” and “Yes, it is cold where I live” (the regular questions). But, she hasn’t ever seemed satisfied with my responses. And I always conclude that, despite my desire, I just don’t understand.

Sameeka just keeps holding my hand.
And persistently repeating her question.

Today, I understood the words.
And the question was exactly the one I feared it might be.


Would you take me to the United States with you?
Would you be my mom?


What could I possibly say in response that would feel okay? I held her hand a bit tighter, touched her cheek, and told her that we could be good friends here in Haiti, but that I could not take her to the United States with me. And I told her that I would talk with her again tomorrow.

I know the question is fairly common – not only in Haiti, but around the world. All the staff here have stories of being asked to adopt people’s children. When I was in South Africa, a woman with HIV (that I’d just met moments before) asked me to adopt her daughter. The common-ness of the request raises many questions for me – about love, about quality of life, about desperation.

But, today was different. When the question came from the child. When her persistence broke through. And when she asked so directly: “Molly, would you be my mom?”

No, beautiful little Sameeka. I cannot. But, I will talk with you again tomorrow.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear Molly Joy! How difficult but yet so true. Thanks for sharing this event/s in your life in Haiti. There is such a desperation in our world and no program can end that. May you be God's Light in their day and life! Love is what it is all about! Missing you!! MOM

Betsy Grace Matheson Symanietz said...

I know you don't get a lot of comments, but EVERYONE is reading your blog, mol. Everyone I talk to who knows you...

This post is beautiful. I read it aloud to Justin in the living room...

I miss you. I'm so glad you're my sister.

Anonymous said...

Molly...
I don't know if you'll remember me. I'm Summer, Betsy's friend from NCC. We've met a couple times. anyway...Bets just sent me the link to your blog to share what you are doing and I just wanted to say Hi. and that I am reading. and marvel at your courage and photos. I look forward to many more.
you are beautiful.

mjonthemove said...

Molly,
I went to Haiti in '03, and I love reading your and Eric's writing because it takes me back there. Thank you.

‘etazini’ - I know Eric speaks Spanish, but do you speak French? I wonder. ‘etazini’ is the phonetic spelling of Etats-Unis. Whatever. Keep writing!

CarrieJ said...

Molly darling, that would have broken heart. Your response was beautiful and as simple as it could be. Thank you for sharing all this with us. I love you!

Anonymous said...

miss mollyjoy, your post brought tears to my eyes for you. thank you for sharing a beautiful - if heartbreaking - moment with us all.

Anonymous said...

i feel you. must have been quite the awkward and yet powerful moment. keep on keepin' on!

mark

jnb said...

oh, i know just how you feel. this was asked of me often when i was in uganda serving for a month, which was definitely long enough. the hardest part was convincing them of the beauty, hope and possibility in their own country, instead of thinking their problems would be solved by leaving and moving to the US. jeanette

Anonymous said...

hello beloved friend - I am a bit behind on reading this post. I am humbled by your words - so honest. this made me tear up a bit but so glad you had the courage and strength to say the right thing to this dear girl. i love you and miss you!